If you could wave a magic wand to create the perfect pond or waterfall, what would it look like? Whether you are a DIYer or hiring the work done, here are seven questions to help you figure out exactly what that looks like and if it will work for you!
1. How much space do you have?
If space is limited, consider installing a Pondless® waterfall or bubbling urn.
2. Do you have a budget?
Fountains cost the least and are quickest to install. Prices for waterfalls, streams, and ponds depend on size, type or rock used, and difficulty of installation. You can easily add a pond to your waterfall later on if you decide that you’d like to keep some fish and enjoy different types of aquatic plants (water lilies, for example).
A beautiful koi pond 8 x 10 feet and 24 inches deep professionally installed can gust upwards of $11500 depending on type of rock, lighting, or plants added. A basic backyard pond starts at $7200.
3. Do you want fish, plants, or lighting?
If you want fish choose a pond that is at least 24” deep. Lighting can also be added to a fountain or a waterfall. Plants can be customized by the owner, or installed by the contractor. Plants make a beautiful pond even better, and are vital to keeping the water clean in your backyard pond.
4. Do you want to hear the water moving?
A waterfall can be gentle and serene in the form a babbling brook or louder and more dramatic if built with longer drops. Perhaps a koi pond with no sound at all fits you better.
5. How much time do you want to spend time maintaining it?
Be honest about the time. But also note that maintaining a pond actually turns out to be playing in the water for many folks! Pond maintenance is relaxing work. You could hire the maintenance out to a pond professional if you don’t have time or interest.
6. Logistical questions include: Where do you want this? Can you see the water from the house? Be sure to locate it near a window so you can enjoy it from inside too! Does that spot have access to electricity or can it be installed? Do you have an irrigation system? (An automatic fill valve can be added for when you’re on vacation.)
7. Technical questions: Which system will you use? We recommend and only use the Aquascape system for its ease of use and environmentally-friendly approach to crafting and sustaining water features.
Hopefully these questions helped you create your ideal water feature! For more information and fun videos visit Aquascape’s youtube channel, MNponds pinterest page, Aquascapeinc.com for technical information, or contact us to set up a free, phone consultation today!
Enjoy life today!
Jeff Chudek has been building ponds and waterfalls professionally since 2005. As a kid, his favorite time of year was spring, because the spring thaw created so much mud and puddles, and all the trees and plants were waking up. He loves figuring out the best way to use something, and fixing things that are broken. He's good at coming up with ideas, and helping choose the best idea for you.